Skip to main content

valentine's day

||VALENTINE'S DAY ||
 __________________
 I rushed through the gift shop looking for something that she would like. The racks were full of photo frames, red cushions in the shape of hearts, teddy bears and huge cards carrying love messages.
 My phone beeped for the 10th time since I had entered the shop. I checked my phone, already knowing what the screen would show.
 10 missed calls from her.
 I switched off my phone and pushed into my pocket. She would have to wait.
 I hurriedly scanned the shelves before my eyes finally rested on the beautiful pendant hanging from a silver chain. She wasn't too fond of jewellery but this particular pendant would only add to her beauty.
 I quickly took it to the cash counter and paid for it. I drove out of the parking lot praying that the gift would be enough to satiate her rage considering that it was the first time I had not answered her call.
 ***
 I rang the doorbell with reluctant fingers. She opened the door after a few moments and her gaze seemed to,penetrate me.
 "You are late and you have not been answering my calls. May I know the reason?"
 "I was out for some work", I fumbled.
 "That doesn't explain why you couldn't answer one call and tell me so." She turned around without another word, clearly more angry than she had ever been with me.
 I grabbed the chain that I had bought for her and pulled it out of my pocket. I tip toed after her as she entered the kitchen. I stood behind her and slipped the chain around her neck. Her hands reached for her neck and her fingers wrapped around the pendant. She turned around and look at me with tears of joy swimming in her eyes.
 "This....Why...."
 "Today is valentines day. And whom do I love more than you Maa?"
 And the woman who had given birth to me huddled herself into my arms like a child.
 "So, will you be my valentine Ma?"
 "You're much romantic than your dad ever was", she said laughing through her tears.
 ~Shreya Barua | The Anonymous Writer

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Liverpool to Bangalore.

The day started to be amazing soon after entering to the best 5 star hotel of bangalore, JW Marriott. Such a nice place it is, be it the entrance, chandelier, the conference hall at its best. As always, Sujit sir rocked the introduction part. The hall was sparkled after the entry of the founder of Camp Leaders, Smaller Earth and World Merit*, none other than Sir Chris Arnold. In spite of coming from a normal background, beating all the odds, experiencing the many tragedies in life, he didn't complain his situations. He was exceptionally well as a student. His father was very supportive to him. It was his teacher Mary Wilson who made a huge impact on his life. At the age of 16, she made him to plan for his future. Mary Wilson made him to believe that he had talent and made him realised that he was responsible for himself. He then wanted to a writer but it didn't turn well. He then thought that travelling the world and finding the right mentor was the solution for all the confus

PM Narendra Modi among 30 most influential people on internet: Time

Prime Minister Narendra Modi has been named among the 30 most influential people on the internet by Time magazine in a list which also features US President Barack Obama.  The list, which analysed social-media followings, site traffic and overall ability to drive news, also includes British author of the Harry Potter series J K Rowling and singers Taylor Swift and Beyonce.  Time said the Indian Prime Minister has roughly 38 million followers on social networking sites Twitter and Facebook, putting him ahead of any other leaders in the world except Obama.  "And unlike many of his contemporaries, Modi recognises that social media can be invaluable when trying to reach India's 200 million-plus online population directly," the Time magazine said.  Modi, an ardent user of social media to communicate with people, announced in an unconventional way, Obama's strategic visit to India in January this year. He took to Twitter to make the announcement, "bypassing tradi

Shoe Dog - Review

A beautiful memoir by the creator of Nike that takes through the entire transformation of Blue Ribbon to Nike Inc. Phil Knight is a great businessman, unravels his storytelling skills in this book. A true gem for all the budding entrepreneurs. "Perseverance" is what I understand made Phil what he is today. His unique management style comes naturally to him and that is one of his success mantras. One notable character of Phil is that he has backed his colleagues despite of having lot of shortcomings. He has nurtured his baby company carefully and braced all the hardships during the budding years. This book is briefly divided into three stages. The inception of Blue Ribbon and his budding years. The transition of Blue Ribbon to Nike Inc and added responsibilities as a father to his sons. The success of Nike into a giant and hard life lessons. Wonderfully crafted story with a roller coaster of emotions.